I’m really feeling neutral living rooms lately – neutral almost to the point of an all-white palette. For somebody who generally gravitates to color in my designs, as well as my vocabulary, this might seem like quite a departure. But they are just speaking to me….or maybe it’s the silence that is resonating more. The quietness of a continuous palette built on a variety of textures and materials, instead of contrasting colors, is so calming.
That being said, as a mom with two kids and a dog, do some of these living rooms terrify me? Like bread without butter. Luckily though, we’ve come a long way with durable fabrics, stain resistant upholstery, and indoor/outdoor rugs that don’t look like recycled plastic…..so the dream is alive! You don’t have to just stand against the wall and look/don’t touch anymore.
Are you feeling like this might be the look for you? Here are some tips for achieving the serene living room look:
1. Paint the walls white or off-white.
2. Install drapery that matches the wall color.
3. Choose light colored upholstery for large items such as the sofa and upholstered chairs.
4. Feel free to add a little pizazz with a patterned rug, as long as it maintains the monochromatic color scheme.
5. Fun throw pillows? No. Serene throw pillows.
6. Incorporate plenty of textures and materials: wool, wood, cotton, linen, rattan, metal, and glass are great combinations.
7. If you want to throw a hit of black into the mix, go ahead, I’m OK with that.
Now that you’re armed and ready to tackle your Serene Dream, get inspired by these amazing and very chill living rooms……
How many naps would you take in one of these rooms?